(For an introduction to HOTEL Ministry, start here)
On March 2, Riverwest Church will be illuminating some outreach service opportunities focused specifically on the HOTEL Ministry effort.
A largely behind-the-scenes effort, HOTEL is instrumental in bringing Gospel light to residents in many downtown Portland hotels that have been refurbished as low-income apartments. The ministry has many independent, moving parts–offering a myriad of opportunities to serve and be involved.
A sampling of places to serve within the ministry:
Options for Visitation
- Join a team of 2 or 3 for visitations
- Deliver groceries to the same 14 residents twice a month from Riverwest to downtown
- Create long-term relationship by visiting with residents when delivering food
- Be comfortable in sharing the gospel through the love of Christ, directly or indirectly, being willing to pray, encourage with scripture etc…
Back-up teams for deli food
We are blessed to partner with Elephant’s Deli to deliver their same-day remainders to a couple of our hotel communities. The need is for some back-up support to swing by one of two Elephant’s locations to pick up and deliver sandwiches, salads and other items that would otherwise go to waste.
- Lake Oswego location: Every Thursday arrive at 5:00pm sharp, pick up food and deliver straight to Riverwest kitchen for later distribution at the Stewart.
- Downtown location: 2 Tuesday evenings a month at 7:30pm sharp, pick up food and deliver straight to Alder House.
Meal team (choose one or all):
- Provide food items
- Help cook
- Be part of clean up crew
- Bring down to residents and serve (once a month max or on Christmas/Easter)
Help at a Bible Study
- Show up and help serve juice, coffee, donuts
- Alder House: Every other Friday
- Swindells: Every other Sunday
- Stewart: Every Thursday
- Donate new or like new casual clothes/shoes (no formal/dressy items needed)
- Donate new undergarments or socks
- Non-expired/non-perishable food
- Any warm coats, blankets, bedding
- Bath linens
Pantry help: two Tuesdays a month (help at one or both)
- Load crates for visitation deliveries
- Unload bins from lobby, sort and put on shelves
- Unload groceries and organize on shelves
- Clean pantry & storage rooms
- 1 hour at Swindell dinner concerts every other month (vocal or instrumental)
Personal creative contributions
Anything you feel you have that could contribute to this ministry. We have volunteers who knit hats, create home-made birthday cards, bake healthy muffins etc. If there is an area of creativity you can offer that we do not have, please feel free to contact us.
You can inquire about any area of interest through the Contact Us form.